The Takoma Foundation is guided by an all-volunteer working board made up of members of our community. All of our fundraising, grantmaking, communications, programs and activities are managed by board members and other community volunteers. The Foundation has no paid staff.
(Updated January 2019)
- Benjamin Frey (President) began his career as an AmeriCorps*VISTA volunteer and is proud to have served an interesting variety of effective and mission-driven nonprofits, foundations and government agencies across the country, developing programs, conducting trainings, managing grants and telling stories about those doing good work for others. He has lived in Takoma Park with his wife and two daughters for most of the 21st century. Four were spent in Malawi, Africa.
- Howard Kohn (Vice President) is a freelance writer and a political consultant. He has been involved with the Foundation for 10 years and participates in several civic groups. He and his wife Diana, another activist, have lived in Takoma Park since 1982. Their three children are grown.
- Kathy Porter (Treasurer)
- Shruti Bhatnagar (Immediate Past President) is a recipient of the Azalea Award (2014) and has been actively involved in the Takoma Park community since 2008. Her 20+ years of work experience includes working in non-profit, corporate and community organizations. In her various leadership positions on the PTA board of Maryland State, Montgomery County and Takoma Park schools, where she successfully led several initiatives including fundraising, membership and outreach, communication, and board development.
- Maureen Feely-Kohl (Grants Chair)
- Annie Mozer (Secretary) is the executive director and founder of What’s My Bias? and has been facilitating anti-bias seminars since 2015. She is a certified anti-bias facilitator with The National SEED Project, and spent time in the Republic of Macedonia coordinating the organization’s grants program with the American Embassy’s Public Affairs Office. During more than 20 years as an elementary school teacher, Annie has developed curriculum for social justice. A long-time Takoma Park resident, she has been a hands-on volunteer in the community and recently won an award for activism. She is currently a member of the Racial Equity Working Group, the MLK Committee, and a head gardener at Takoma Park’s demonstration garden for children. Annie is married with two sons.
- Carolyn Bobb
- Eric Bond is a previous board president and board member. He is heartened by the continuing community support for the Takoma Foundation, as well as the breadth of important community projects that the Foundation supports. He believes “The Takoma Foundation is the beating heart of Takoma Park.”
- Gary Cardillo
- Richard Fawal is a media and communications consultant and entrepreneur. Over the course of his 30-year career he has worked with political candidates across the country, organizations like the American Medical Association and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and top-name brands such as Mayo Clinic and Kellogg’s. Most recently he served as associate vice president for communications at the Brookings Institution. He is currently president at Junto Media LLC, producing original and white-labeled multimedia content for distinctive audiences.
- Dave Lanar
- Patti Mallin moved to Takoma Park in 1997 and immediately began volunteering for the Friends of the Takoma Park Library. She ran the highly successful twice-yearly book sales for several years until her daughter started school, at which point volunteer time was spent in the classroom or media center at the elementary school. Patti has also been involved with her daughter’s soccer, basketball and softball teams all along the way. Patti and Cam live in Takoma Park, on “Little Eastern.”